Monday, May 27, 2013

Thoughts on Tshirts

I wondered at first why so many Spaniards wear t-shirts with English words printed on them. I know a lot of these people don't speak English, and probably don't even know what their shirt says. But then I thought again about Americans wearing shirts with stylish Chinese and Japanese writing on it. Tattoos even. There's an element of mystery and hidden meanings and symbolism. I think these people don't really realize that there are normal, everyday people out there who would find that shirt cliché or uninteresting or at worst incorrect and ungrammatical. How many people are there who would get a big tattoo reading, "Faith" or "Luck" or something, in big Latin letters?

If we don't really understand what's being said, our imaginations are free to make shit up and create some deep significance that is perhaps not really achievable with words. But then we just look silly to those who really do understand.


###########

Aside from that, Heather is arriving on Wednesday. That's super exciting! And sorry folks, no picture today. My camera is out of batteries and I'm too lazy to buy more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment