Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Planning

Sometimes I feel like a psychic. I know exactly what I will be doing during a given time, and it's kind of reassuring. Like during the week before Finals Week in college, I knew that I was gonna get up at 8 am on Monday, go to class for one hour, sit in the library for four hours to word-vomit a paper, go home, eat, study, and microwave the same forgotten cup of tea five times before going to bed. 

Sometimes these psychic powers are less specific, but more overarching. Like after I got my acceptance letter to Western, I had a vision that for the next four years I would be living in Bellingham. (spooky, eh?) 

But a lot of times, these powers of foresight fail me, and I don't know what's coming next. This not knowing is both freeing and scary. Freeing in the sense that I could feasibly do whatever I want, and scary in the fact that I am now an adult and somewhat capable of understanding what the consequences of my actions will be. (I know that if I bum around Europe all summer I will have no money come fall.)

So, lacking magic powers, I turn to logic, which has pretty much always served me better anyway. Therefore, here are a few of the pros & cons I've thought of concerning my plans for the future, specifically the summer. In case you don't know, I've applied for a summer course on Galician at the University of Santiago de Compostela, which lasts from July 4-24 and my options essentially boil down to A) Stay in Spain for the summer (I'm gonna be here again next year anyway), or B) Go home for the summer. 

Stay:
  • Cheaper
    • Two plane tickets is less expensive than the cost of living frugally in Santiago for two/three months
  • Learn Galician at the University of Santiago
    • How cool is that?
  • Be in Europe for the summer
    • again, pretty cool, right?
  • Continue improving my Spanish
  • No painful trans-atlantic flight
  • Celeste may come visit

Go:
  • See family and friends
    • I'm sure they want to see me as well
      • at least I hope so
  • Visit old professors in person, talk about linguisticky things and big-girl school
  • Go sailing
  • Be in Washington for the summer
    • which would be pretty cool as well
  • Play my piano
    • technically it's not mine-mine, but I do get to use it
  • Did I mention see my family and friends already?

So, yeah. I think I've made my decision already (otherwise I probably wouldn't even be posting this. It will just take a little while for the idea to sink in, to let my psychic powers realize what the future has coming for me.
And now, since I do post a picture every time, here is this week's obligatory photo.
This is from this past weekend, when Julián and Sofía (remember them from way back when?) took me to see one of the few castles in Galicia. It was a little overgrown, but pretty cool to look at. 

Oh, and hooray for my first ever adventure in HTML formatting! columns, woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment