Thursday, October 18, 2012

The City Where I Live

I've been going on some walking adventures around Lugo lately, running errands, socializing... That's it really. I say adventures, but I really mean getting lost. The city isn't really that big, as it covers less space than say Bellingham, but it's dense and convoluted. 

I happened to bring my camera today when I went to pick up my debit card from the bank, which is inside the muralla (the old Roman wall that surrounds the town center/downtown area).

Here's one of the plazas in the town center, kind of deserted in the bad weather.



The muralla, one of my main landmarks.



A statue in the Praza do Rei, another of my main landmarks. This means I'm almost back to my flat. Upon examining the plaque, this is not the king, so I'm not sure why he's here. I do like his fixie bike though.



And there's my building (the red one)! It's in a plaza as well, which makes giving people my address tricky, because it's not on a street. 

3 comments:

  1. Pictures of your flat! And more delicious food. Miss you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Praza do Rei Portuguse or Gallego? Does everyone speak Spanish all the time, or do you hear a lot of Gallego? Also, exciting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praza do Rei is Galego. (Galego being the Galician way of spelling/pronouncing it) Yeah, I hear lots of Galician. Everyone at the school , minus one or two teachers, speak Galician, but in Lugo it's hard to tell. Strangers and people in shops will speak Castilian almost always, but all the signage on roads, shops, government notices etc will be in Galician.

      Delete