Sunday, October 20, 2013

What am I even doing here?

I've just started my second year in Spain as and Auxiliar de Conversacion, (or, as all my coworkers call it 'lectora.' Don't know why) and I figure it's about time I explain on here what exactly it is that I do.

One of the funny things about the program is the wide range of responsibilities and expectations the different schools place on their auxiliars. At some schools you're pretty much expected to be a real teacher--planning and executing all your own lessons by yourself, while the regular teacher takes the opportunity to get caught up on their own work. In other places, you're not much more than a reading machine/dictionary, where you are only expected to be an example of correct pronunciation. 

Fortunately, my experience has fallen between these extremes, though much more towards the full-blown teacher end. At both the schools I've worked at, I have had two kinds of classes--straight up English classes, and "bilingual sections" aka content classes taught in a foreign language (obviously English in this case). 

For the English classes, I am expected to prepare my own lessons, usually based on either the current grammar or vocab theme the students are learning about, or a seasonal/holiday/cultural lesson. For the bilingual section classes, I often end up reading from a textbook or other source, or doing a vocabulary lesson or game.

A standard lesson plan looks something like this:

Recipes lesson

3rd of ESO (8th grade)

  • Go over command form in English
  • brainstorm dish ideas
  • pair and write recipes
  • share recipes
    • early finishers share with other early finishers
    • whole group
  • extra time? 
    • 2-3 min--tongue twister
    • 4-10 min--taboo/other game w/ food vocab
And that's it. There's other stuff involved, like stern looks and crowd control, and not laughing when students say snarky/cheeky things, but that's all secondary.

And the obligatory picture:


I went for a walk the other day in Belvis park, one of the many parks in Santiago. For a Spanish city, Santiago is very green. It may have something to do with weather predictions like this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment