Thursday, January 3, 2013

SUPERMERCADO!!!

I used all-caps for the title because this is probably the most boring post I'll post. In the subsequent paragraphs I will discuss the various supermarkets to be found in Galicia, their pros and cons and what makes them special. Maybe you were expecting a Christmas/holiday blog, but NO. supermarkets.

First on the list is Froiz, because 1) it has a weird name, and 2) it is the closest to my flat.

I like Froiz because it's like two minutes from my flat and they have good bread. They are also a Galician brand, and I am all about supporting the Spanish (and especially Galician) economy. On the downside, they have less selection and are a little more expensive than other supermarkets, and you can't weigh your produce yourself. Although they do have tortillas and refried beans.

Next on the list is Mercadona, because it is next closest to my flat.
Pros: lots of selection, good prices, catchy theme song ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytT6355sDr4 ), five minutes from my flat, an inviting font, and you get to weigh your own produce!! Cons: the layout is confusing and the bread is mediocre. 

Next: Gadis
Gadis is my favorite supermarket. It has all the pros of Mercadona, plus it is another Galician brand, the bread is good, and the color scheme is awesome. yellow orange and brown, woo! On the downside, it is about 9 minutes from my flat. This is the only photo I have of Gadis. it's over there in the bottom right corner.

Next: Carrefour


cons: it is the french version of walmart, only expensive. There are almost always homeless people outside and the empanadas are no good. pro: this is where my microwave comes from.

next: Dia %


yes, that is the name of this supermarket. I don't know much about it, so it gets a score of average. I once bought frozen tuna pizza and beer from a dia %.

Next: Eroski

This is another huge, international brand, and I have never been inside one. some day. con: overused color scheme.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed. Meaning this was not boring after all. I want my money back.

    ReplyDelete