Friday, December 7, 2012

Cathedrals

First, some required listening. (right-click, new tab) It's quiet, but it will get louder.

As you probably know, Spain is a Catholic country, and has been for pretty much as long as Catholicism has been around. As you also probably know, I am not much of one for religion, but I can absolutely appreciate a place dedicated to quiet introspection and tranquility, especially with a little bit of history thrown in.


There is a cathedral in Lugo, special because it is the only cathedral in the world where they are allowed to keep the host on display all the time, not just during the host part of the ceremonies.








At night, it gets lit up, like most impressive historical things do. 

There's a church in Fonsagrada that I go past to get to the school every day, so I figure that's worth a mention as well, even though it doesn't have the papal seal of approval.



Notice there's a Camiño de Santiago symbol above the door in the bottom right corner (looks like a clam shell). I suppose technically you could say that I have been on the Camino, since part of it goes through the town and along the highway for a stretch. But been on is very different from done.

Now we get to the real reason behind this post: I went on another field trip today with my coordinating teacher, to the coast this time. One of the places we stopped was the Basilica of San Martiño in the town of Foz. The first stage of construction started in the fifth century, with more additions completed up through the seventh.



Classic romanesque style.


Unfortunately it was closed when we arrived, so we did not get to go inside.

After poking around the outside of San Martiño, we headed east to Tapia de Casariego in Asturias, where we got a little lost, had lunch and went for a walk.



A departure from the theme, I know, but it was so pretty I had to share.

Next we headed back west, to A Praia das Catedrais. We didn't get there until around 6pm, and both the light and my camera were failing, so I didn't get the chance to take as many photos as I would have liked. 



Rain on the water.








This one is blurry, I'm sorry.




Julián waiting while I climbed to the top of one of the catedrais, as the storm rolls in off the water.

I hope the music timed out well with how long it took to read the post. :)
ps. Here's a link if you'd like to see all the photos from today a little bigger than I can put here. photos

No comments:

Post a Comment